With the job market being more competitive than ever these days, your first impression when trying to get hired is very important. And usually, the first impression that you are able to make is with your resume. So if you don’t know how to make resume, don’t wait any longer and learn that necessary skill.
Microsoft Word has for years been a great tool for creating a good looking resume quickly and easily. MS Word 2010 is no exception, continuing Microsoft’s efforts to keep the process of creating your resume easy. At the same time it is giving you more options to personalize and customize it.
Let’s take a look at how to make resume using MS Word 2010.
1) First open Microsoft Word, click on the File menu and then click New to create a new document.
2) A list of available templates for various types of Word documents appears on the screen. From there you can select New resume samples or Resumes and CVs and look through the available templates.
3) The Resumes and CVs tab is a little more convenient for use, since it divides the offered templates into three categories: Basic resumes, Job-specific resumes and Situation-specific resumes. Explore the options and pick the template that suits you best. For example, if you are a recently graduated college student looking for your first real job, there are available templates that are tailored for your situation. If you are looking for a job as a pharmacist or a retail sales clerk, there are templates that are custom-made for those positions as well. Have a look around and pick the template that best suits your needs as far as both content and appearance are concerned.
4) Once you choose the resume template that you want to use, you can start editing. All you have to do is click on each individual field, one at a time, and enter the corresponding information – name, contact information, education, work experience, recommendations, etc.
5) After completing your resume, use the formatting features of Word 2010 to customize your resume even more and really make it your own.
Formatting tools that you might have been familiar with when using PowerPoint 2007 like reflection, shadow and glow can be used to format your text and make your resume more attractive and interesting.
Click on the Text Effects button on the Home tab in order to try some of these tools.
You can also use SmartArt graphics and insert them into your resume to make it more colorful and interesting with charts and graphs that correspond to the information stated textually in your resume.
Click on the Insert tab and then the SmartArt or Chart buttons to experiment with these features.
6) Once you are satisfied with the way your resume looks, you can secure your document and set permissions that will protect it from being edited by anyone else. Click on File and then the Protect Document button to the right, next to Permissions.
7) You can also convert the resume into a more universal PDF format before you begin sending it to various employers in your search for a job.
Click on File, then Save As, and then scroll down to PDF in the Save as type box before clicking Save.
All these available tools enable you to learn how to make resume in a way it reflects your personality and individuality better in hopes of landing the job of your dreams.