With over 30 million presentations created every day, Microsoft PowerPoint is without any doubt the most popular slideshow creator on Earth. Used extremely frequently both in business and in education, this software allows users to expeditiously manage their presentations, which can later be applied to a wide array of possibilities.
Another interesting fact is that 120 million people use PowerPoint for business, and more than 6 million teachers depend on it for classroom lectures. A relatively new feature to PowerPoint is that you can embed YouTube videos onto a presentation, which can be more than convenient at times.
As the world’s largest free video hosting service YouTube doesn’t really require any kind of special introduction, so if you require embellishing your presentation with a YouTube video and you’re not sure how to do it, continue reading this post!
So, how exactly to embed a YouTube video in PowerPoint?
Firstly, it is important that you own a 2016, 2013 or 2010 version of PowerPoint, because otherwise the embedding won’t work.
- The beginning step is to open the YouTube video you require embedded with your browser. It’s also vital to note that YouTube is the only streaming website that is supported by PowerPoint, so you cannot use other stream-based sites.
- Select the Share option on that specific YouTube page. You will find the Embed button exactly below it. Just copy the highlighted code (with the right click mouse button, or with Ctrl+C on your keyboard).
- Open PowerPoint and select the specific slide you wish to add the video on. Click on the Insert tab, where you’ll see the Video button among other options.
Click on it and select the Online Video option. In case you’re using the 2010 PowerPoint version, click the Video from Website button.
- The next step is to select the Paste embed code here option, or you can just use the Ctrl+V, or right click your mouse and press Paste. Then click on the arrow to insert a video into PowerPoint.
- Once you’ve completed these steps, the video will emerge on your slide. Most probably it’ll just appear like a black box, but do not fret, because this is normal.
- The next phase is to select the Playback tab, which will open all the options for the video. Click the Start drop-down list and choose how the video will play. It’s very important that you select one of these given options, because the video won’t work without it.
- When you are planning to present your PowerPoint presentation, make sure that you have a reliable Internet connection, which is a mandatory requirement for the YouTube videos to be played.