There are times when you need to have a PDF translated – when you buy a gadget produced in Japan or China and you have no idea what the manual says – for example. Or maybe you are selling Italian tiles, and you want to translate the brochure of the company whose products you are placing on an English-speaking market.
If you do need to translate PDF files, it is good to know that there are ways to do this online without having to pay a single red cent.
The easiest and best ways to translate PDF files for free online involve the use of our PDF to Word tool, Google Docs or Google Translate.
Here are three of the simplest ways to get your PDFs translated into any of the many different languages that Google supports.
TRANSLATE PDF USING PDF TO WORD CONVERTER ONLINE
If you don’t like to use Google Drive or you just prefer to use Microsoft Word instead of Google Docs, this is the quickest way to translate document online in a few simple steps.
- Go to PDF to Word Converter Online and upload a PDF from your computer or the cloud. The tool doesn’t ask for email address any more.
- When you upload a PDF, the conversion will start automatically. After a few moments, when the conversion is completed, you will see the Download file button to save the converted file to your computer or any other device.
- Open a converted Word file and click the Review tab. Click on the Translate button and you will see the window like shown on the image below. Once you choose the language just click the OK button.
For instance, if you want to translate PDF to English, in the field “Translate to” select English language. In the field “Translate from” select the source language.
How to translate a PDF document using Google Docs
- If you do not have a Google account, click here and sign up for one – you should be able to do so in a matter of minutes.
- Once you have done this, login to your account and go to Google Drive. Once you are in Google Drive, click on “Upload“ and then “File Upload“. From your computer, choose the PDF file that you want to translate and upload it.
3. Right mouse click on the uploaded PDF and choose to open with Google Docs as shown on the image below.
4. Click the “Tools“ tab and choose the option Translate document.
5. The window will pop up asking you to choose the language and to rename a file if you want. Once you choose the language just click on the Translate button.
The translated document will show up in another tab where you will be able to further edit it, if needed.
TRANSLATE PDF USING GOOGLE TRANSLATE
1. Use the most famous PDF translator online- Translate.Google.com. Click on the “From” and “To” tabs to select first, what language the original PDF is in (From), and what language you want it translated into (To).
2. Now click on “translate a document.“
3. Click on “browse“ and then select the PDF file from your computer that you want translated.
4. Click “Translate.“ Your translated text will appear in the same window.
Translate large PDF files
If your file is too big, Google Translate or any other PDF translator online may stop working. That is because large PDF files are harder to process, especially if the tool needs to translate it. So, if you experience any such difficulties with translating large PDF files with Google Translate or Google Docs, try to convert PDF to Word even if you don’t have Microsoft Office installed.
When you choose to convert your PDF file with this PDF to Word Converter mentioned above, you will get .docx file that will work with any Word viewer. It can be OpenOffice or any other Word alternative for desktop or mobile.
The next step would be to open the converted file and press CTRL + A on your keyboard. That command selects the whole text in the document, so now you just need to copy/paste it in Google translate. This tool also works on mobile phones and tablets, you can access it from your mobile browser and convert files.
Can Google translate images?
Unlike PDF files, translating images can be a nightmare, especially if your image is not of high quality. If you use Google Translate you probably know that there is a mobile app for both Android and iOS. Here you can learn how to translate images on you phone, by using camera.
However, Google translate for desktop doesn’t support that option. If you prefer to translate documents on desktop and not on mobile, you should better convert image to PDF and then do the rest.