Regardless of your job occupation, document management is an inevitable part of every work day. If you often work with MS Office documents such as Word, Excel or PowerPoint, you probably know that there is an option to insert different objects into that document. Not only can you add illustrations and tables, but you can also add images and PDF documents. It is particularly convenient when you want to add data from a different document. Since most documents are preserved in PDF, converting that PDF to Word and then copying the data in Word document you are working with, can result in losing the formatting. Moreover, it can altering the formatting of the working document as well. For that reason, it is more safe to insert PDF into Word as appendix. To do so you just need to follow the instructions below:
Insert PDF into Word as object
Open a Word document you are working with and click on the Insert menu. It is placed next to the Home menu.
Click on the Object button and then on Create from File tab. You will find Object button in the Text tab as shown on the image below.
When you open the Object window, it will look like this:
Locate the PDF file you want to insert, by clicking the Browse button. Finally, click OK to insert PDF into Word document. The PDF will be shown as a page in a Word document, and if you want to show it as a full page, just drag the angles of the document left and right.
Although Microsoft Word 2016 has been used for the purpose of this guide, the same principle can work with other MS Word program versions. The look of older versions of Microsoft Word may differ but the options are pretty the same. This useful tip can be applied to different types of document management tasks, for both business and personal use. It is never enough learning of new skills, no matter how experienced you are!
Insert PDF into Word (only first page)
There are two ways to insert only the first page of a PDF:
- Follow the steps above but make sure you don’t check the options “link to file” and “display as icon”. In this way, only the first page of your PDF will be visible in Woes but if you click on a file, it will open in a PDF reader and all other pages will be visible.
- If you want to insert only one page of the file, and you want to exclude other pages, you should split a PDF and then insert it, as explained above. You can split PDF pages with PDF Converter Elite. Just open the file there, click on Edit menu, then on Split PDF File button. In the both fields where you need to enter the page number, type the number 1 so only the first page is split. Now you can insert that PDF page into Word.
Insert PDF into Word (multiple pages)
If your PDF file has multiple pages, you can insert it in the same way we explained above: Insert> Object > Create from file/Create new. Only the first page can be visible, but if you want to have all pages visible, you should split PDF into separate pages and then insert PDF page separately. Remember, if you want to have your PDF visible in Word document, leave checkbox unchecked (“display as icon” and “link to file”).
Insert PDF into Word as image
Another option is to save PDF as JPG file and insert it into Word as image. PDF Converter Elite converts PDF to JPG, and you can also batch convert multiple PDFs to JPG. Inserting image into Word is different than object, but that option is also in the Insert menu.
Insert PDF into Word as icon
We already mentioned the checkbox “display as icon”. You need to check that box if you want to insert PDF as icon. Here are the steps:
- Click on Insert and than find the object button.
- In the Object dialog, choose Create from file or Create new. If you choose the tab “Create from file” you need to click on Browse to locate your PDF. For create new option, just select the file type and you will again see the folder with your documents.
- Before clicking on OK button, check the box to insert PDF into Word as icon.
Insert PDF into Word as hyperlink
The steps for inserting PDF file as hyperlink are similar to these above, but instead of checking the box “display as icon”, you need to check the box “link to file”.
- In the Insert menu, click to add object.
- In the tab Create from file, locate the PDF by clicking on the Browse question.
- Check the box “link to file” and confirm the changes with the click on OK button.
Insert PDF into Word as background
If you want to show the content of your PDF document as a background of your Word document, you need to convert PDF to JPG or PNG first. Only images can be a background of a document.
Here are two easy ways to set your new image as background:
- Insert the image, by clicking on the Insert menu and then on Pictures. Right click on the inserted image and then on Wrap Text. From the drop-down menu of the Wrap Text, select Behind Text.
- Insert the image into your header as a full page image and it will automatically treat it as a background layer. Double click in the header area and then on Pictures. When you add your image, you will see it in the header area.